Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Falling in love with New Orleans all over again

In preparation for our trip, I'm exploring the internet for nuggets of beauty and all things NOLA. The following poem is all over the place. I can't find an author to credit it to - but it sums up many of the amazing idiosyncrasies of New Orleans:

give me a king cake smear
give me a beignet kiss
give me a french quarter morning that looks just like this

give me the endymion krewe
give me the times-picayune
give me a drunk and lazy crawfish boil in muggy sticky june

give me a six pack of dixie
give me some assorted abita beers
give me a city where it only snows once every 10 years

give me a green neutral ground
give me a mardi gras ball
give me a medium rare burger at my grand old Port of Call

give me a glittery drag show
give me the streetcar line
give me the House of the Rising Sun
give me a Tchoupitoulas sign

give me a shrimp and oyster poboy
give me lovebug season in May
give me my New Orleans-
I will definitely stay.

No comments: