Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Powerful blog post/National Geographic Feature

First, I want to draw your attention to some text from a NOLA blogger.
FEMA decided to tell people that their trailers were toxic two years after they issued them. Then, the folks at Peopleshurricane.org started issuing flyers about the Red Cross hiding money and damn near started a riot. Then, the Road Home program started rushing people to apply for assistance after saying it was out of money. Then, the Corps of Engineers said they were not rebuilding the levees for Category 5. Then, the murder rate is climbing and the DA and police department can’t get their act together. Then, there is a teacher and classroom shortage. Then, every week another house on my block is demolished. Then, we have all this stuff to fix with no money to fix it and no time table on when it will be fixed. Then all of our political leaders are crooked or like freaks. That’s when I realized that I am not living in the past. I am living in the present.


Second, a feature article in the National Geographic. Honestly, I haven't read the entire article in depth yet, but I plan to. It was recommended reading from my friend Jaxon, who was on the Biloxi trip with me. It takes a look at the bleak future of New Orleans. According to the article, there are 50-50 odds that another hurricane the size of Katrina could hit the Gulf Coast.

Is it a futile attempt? To go down there and try to make a difference? Is it really any different than living near Mt Rainier, or on a fault line? Or in any area stricken with tornadoes?

I'm going. I think it's a good thing to do. But I still can't help but wonder about the future of New Orleans. What's in store for the Big Easy?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.