Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Breach

I went with some friends last night to see the Seattle Rep's production of The Breach. Susanna found a great 2-for-1 deal in the New York Times, so it was fun to coordinate a small group to go.

First, I was thrilled that I found 5 other people who wanted to go with me. I love going to the theatre, but I rarely end up going. It was nice to have so many people on board and ready for a nice night out.

The play itself is three stories all intertwined. The majority of the story-telling takes place after the storm itself. The three narratives have little to do with one another, but I liked that they chose this format instead of having 3 short plays back to back.

Water is a very big theme in this production - on the set and as a character itself.

I'm curious to hear other people's reactions to the emotional connection of the show. Maybe it is because I have been following the aftermath of Katrina closely, but I didn't really feel like it brought anything new to the table. However, I'm thrilled to see it in production and sparking dialogue about this national tragedy.

I guess I'm comparing it to my emotional response to When The Levees Broke, which I think should be required viewing for all US citizens.

The coolest thing - the Rep is selling art in the lobby after each show, with 100% of the proceeds benefiting New Orleans artists. I didn't buy any and I regret it. Maybe I'll try to buy some local art when I'm down there.

Just a few more days! We leave bright and early this Saturday!!!

[edit!]
Here is an interesting video from the playwrights:

No comments: